Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Bad Math

Yancey wrote an article called "The Atrocious Mathematics of the Gospel" that had people calling him a blasphemer and satanic. In it, he wrote ironically about 4 stories, one from each gospel. He said it didn't make sense that a shepherd would leave 99 sheep to look for one...that a widow would be praised more for giving 2 coins than a rich man who had given millions...that a woman should pour a pint of perfume on Jesus' feet, perfume worth a year's wages...or that a man who had worked an hour should get paid the same as a man who had worked a whole day. He said that few sermons had been preached on that last story. I think one should be preached. Soon. We keeping wanting God's "math" to add up according to our standards. Grace doesn't work that way. If it did, we'd all be doomed. Capon said, "If the world could have been saved by good bookkeeping, it would have been saved by Moses, not Jesus."

Lisa bought me a cereal bowl that looks like a baseball and James was so excited for me to use it today. I'm so happy that Lisa has embraced the sport I love so much. I know she did it for me. I hope James learns to love it too.

Yesterday, James crashed face-first into the cement at school. Apparently, he fell of a bike. He has scratches on his forehead, chin, and under his nose. His upper gums and teeth were banged up (again) and his upper lip is split. Yesterday his lip was huge for a few hours. Lisa had to see the worst of it and take care of him while I was at work. He was fine by the time I got home. We try to make ourselves feel better every time something like this happens by reminding us that all little boys get scratched and bruised at times and that we're lucky he's active enough to FALL off a bike. And it's true...but it's still tough when you're sweet little guy gets hurt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters