Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Summer Begins at Bag End

"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat; it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."

The Hobbit was published in 1937 and a beautiful hardback edition came out in 1987 to celebrate the 50th anniversary. I was 23 and decided that I would like to read that version of the classic to my kids someday, so I bought it. Last night, I took that old book from the bottom shelf of the bookcase, dusted it off, and sat down with it next to my son's bed as James and I journeyed together to Middle Earth, specifically to a particular hobbit-hole in the neighborhood of The Hill, where we met Bilbo Baggins and a strange wizard named Gandalf. Tonight, we are likely to meet a number of dwarfs.

Truly good things are worth waiting for.


8 Comments:

At 7:15 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

I love how you love doing things like this with that boy!

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger The Weaver's said...

Aim for the spot with the missing jewel.

 
At 8:30 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Why'd you dust it off?

That's half the fun, sneezing through the first 5 chapters.

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Man I miss those reading at night times. May your journey with James to Middle Earth last for as long as it can.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Ahhh....reading to children is so rewarding...what a great book to pick! :)

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Swan Man said...

After we read The Hobbit, we read The Chronicles of Narnia - good stuff.

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

Have Fun Steve!!! Just make sure you guys get back in time for VBS this week! :o)

 
At 11:08 PM, Blogger Mrs. V!! said...

Wow, that was like a Hallmark commercial in words! (*tear*) I have waited too long to get into reading with Isa at night, but I am currently remedying that mistake :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters