Tuesday, May 19, 2009

What I Know Now That I Didn't Know Then

I can't possibly sum up the last month in a brief (enough) blogpost. Let me try to hit some highlights.

Biblical Interpretation was one of the most work-intensive courses I've ever taken. I learned so much about exegesis and hermeneutics and all that good stuff. But the five books, the weekly lesson notes, the regular posts in the online threads, the four two-page research papers, the outlines and charts, the ten-page portfolio, the fifteen-page final research paper, and the final exam...made me tired. Just typing that made me tired.

The Gospel of Luke was a wonderful journey. What an amazing writer Luke was. I can't wait to teach what I've learned...and continue to learn by doing so.

I put in more tutorial time than ever with my AP class this year. I really hope it pays off. This was the first time I've ever heard the word "easy" used when discussing the test. As in, "most of the mulitple choice questions were pretty easy." Sadly, I won't find out the results until next school year. But my students feel good about it.

Lisa has started working full-time (or "fuller" anyway) at Mt. View. This has made for many nights when we just look at each other and decide that going to bed sounds better than watching TV.

James has been playing on the 8-10 year old team in baseball. For the first time, he's starting to really get the game. He seems to be settling in at second base. His hitting is coming around and he's fielding everything that comes his way. His throwing has always been good, but the catching needs a LOT of work. Fortunately, he still loves going outside with his dad and practicing.

Star Trek was awesome and deserves a post all its own. I know many of you look forward to that.

Kris is going to win American Idol and I'm glad. Not because I don't think Adam is immensely talented. Just because I like them both a lot (even though I like Kris' music better) and I think Adam will be tremendously successful with or without the title. Kris probably needs it a little more. (Sorry Gokey-ites. I fell off that bandwagon even before he slaughtered "Dream On.")

The LOST finale was awesome and deserves a post all its own too.

I missed blogging. Kind of. Mostly. Mainly, I missed having time to blog. The best feeling of turning in that final paper was just knowing that I wasn't going to have to spend every waking moment working anymore. I'm looking forward to reading some books just for the fun of it...watching some baseball games without being distracted by the work I should be doing...playing some mindless computer games...and taking better care of my family.

One more thing for now: one thing that never seems to change is that there are always people who are hurting. I'm grateful for the time to be there a bit more for the people I know. They are always in my prayers, but I'm glad for the chance to be able to listen to them a bit more now, check on them more frequently, remind them of God's great love. In this past semester, I went through one of the toughest stretches of my life. But God was there at all times and I am so grateful for that. Let's all remind each other as well. There is nothing so broken that He can't fix it.

5 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

Good to have you back.

A disappointed Gokey-ite who has no interest in watching the final results.

The classes I took at Harding Graduate School of Religion in Biblical interpretation and expository preaching were awesome and truly opened my eyes to all I'd missed just taking other people's word for the Word.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

Oh, but Steve...........Danny did such an awesome job nearly every song (NOBODY did a good job on ALL of them, contrary to Simon's judgment of Adam, although last night he was somewhat down on him about his outfit), and when he sang You Are So Beautiful, my goose bumps got goose bumps! :) As we've discussed on Facebook, I don't dislike Adam. He's good, really good. Since Danny can't win, I'd like to see the boy from Arkansas walk away with it. :)

Hey, glad to see you back. We've missed you. Get some rest.

How is the friend you requested prayers for over on FB?

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Brady said...

I don't get to watch American Idol, so I can't comment on that.

I'll have to read that Luke thing you wrote about. Sounds like it could change someone's life.

Glad you are back.

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Mayor of Blakersfield said...

Let me know when you write that LOST Finale post. That was really awesome!!!! I am thinking we should name Jacob's rival "Esau", until an actual name is revealed. I can't wait until 2010!!!

 
At 9:19 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Good to have you back Math Bro.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters