Friday, March 20, 2009

Bad Dad

The weather has been beautiful lately, highs in the low-to-mid 70's...the kind of days where I hate being cooped up in a classroom.

This morning before work, James asked if he could wear shorts to school. I told him that the mornings were still too chilly for shorts and he'd need long pants and a tee shirt with a jacket or sweatshirt until the day warmed up. He commented that other kids were wearing shorts already. I retorted that I wasn't overly concerned with what other kids were wearing. He started to say something else and I cut him off and told him that arguments were a lousy way to start the day. He stormed off to his bedroom and sighed loudly while I ate my Froot Loops. When I stopped in his room to hug him before leaving, he was still wearing just his tighty whities, staring wistfully at his closet. He was acting like he couldn't decide what to wear, but I was pretty sure he was waiting for his mom to wake up so he could ask her if he could wear shorts.

I gave him a hug, kissed his cheek, and told him to put some clothes on. No shorts.

On the drive to school I remembered that it was his birthday.

Now I'm not saying I would have let him get his way, but I was very sorry that our morning got sidetracked and I had forgotten to wish him a Happy Birthday. Naturally, I called as soon as I got to school (no bluetooth yet, alas) and sang birthday wishes to him by speakerphone along with his mom.

Happy 8th, dude. I'll make it up to you by driving you to Pismo for some Splash clam chowder tonight.

8 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

We've all had those moments. I remember once grabbing Josh's favorite T-shirt and ripping it. I could not have felt worse.

As for the clam chowder ... this is just my take on it because I don't like anything having to do with eating fish or seafood, but I would consider clam chowder to be a very bad punishment!! :)

PS Being a Stooge lover, the word verification is "shemp" ... how cool is that?

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Greg, that may be the coolest WV ever.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Absolutely - we've all had those moments. Forgive yourself and move on.

I'm not a clam chowder fan, either, so I would push for McLintock's for a ribeye. Give it some thought. My birthday's in about 8 months.

Have a great weekend.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger The Weaver's said...

I always find that on your birthday, a birthday suit is best. That is all I got to say about that.

 
At 5:49 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Happy birthday. I love those March babies.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Meowmix said...

You couldn't be a bad dad if you wanted to!

Happy belated birthday to James!

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

8 years old!!!
Where did the time fly???

Been there and as Greg said, "ripped the T-shirt." It's O.K. to be a "bad dad" every now and then as long as we realize it and as you did, make the call. You were singing acapella? :)

My WV not as cool as Greg's but interesting:

spapa

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous timeless said...

Welcome to REAL parenthood...the bad with the good. I remember tearing a hated dress of mine at the neckline because I didn't want to wear it...I was maybe 8. I think that's the age when kids want to make their own choices. The thin thread of control begins to snap...

Can I come with you to Pismo? Clam chowder is comfort food to me...especially if it's from this place in Morro Bay.

I thought fish was the staple of a "Christian" diet...you know..."fishers of men", the fish that multiplied miraculously to feed the crowd, "nets of fish that overflowed"...

Sushi...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters