Friday, October 10, 2008

10

I met my wife in a bowling alley.

Tres romantique, non?

She was the best looking person in the place, by a factor of about 100. She worked behind the counter and I began to find more reasons to go bowling than ever before in my life.

As God would have it, she ended up joining the league I was in. It took a while, but I eventually asked her out. We went out. Had a great time. It took a while, but she eventually went out with me again.

Rather than give a detailed account of our courtship on this, our 10th anniversary, I thought I would use this incredibly public forum to describe the moment I fell in love with her...truly, madly, deeply.

There was an older couple in our bowling league. Very nice folks. He had a stroke and they were gone for quite a while. When they came back, he was in a wheelchair, barely able to talk, his mouth slightly drawn downward on one side. It was hard to see him like that as he was a big, friendly man. His wife sat with him, smiling, caring for him.

Everyone was happy to see them and there were lots of hugs on their return. But most were uncomfortable spending much time with them and nobody really knew how to talk to him. So, after the initial welcome, it was bowling as usual. They sat in the back, together, watching.

Then Lisa went missing. Nobody knew where she was and it was her turn to bowl. And, in a league, when you're up, YOU'RE UP!! I found her and I'll never forget it and if you've ever met her you already know where she was. If I'd known her then as well as I do now, it's the first place I would have looked.

Lisa was sitting right between the couple, chatting them both up. All three were smiling and sharing and I was just struck by this incredible person and her ability to relate to anybody, including convalescing people three times her age.

That was it. It was all over. And today I'm celebrating the tenth anniversary of the second best decision I ever made in my life. I love you, baby. Happy Anniversary.

7 Comments:

At 9:38 AM, Blogger Brady said...

What a great story! I always tell my kids: get involved in service, and get interested in others who are involved in that service. God will lead them after that.

 
At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice pick up!

 
At 6:41 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Glad you didn't leave that frame open brother. Congrats to you and Lisa. My wife's ability to do much of the same you described about Lisa drew me to her as well.

With Brady's great advice for his kids I believe we may have a "turkey."

 
At 7:12 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

LOVE this story! Congratulations to you both.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never forget your wedding! I didn't know Lisa...and I barely knew you. Thanks to my kids, they let me tag along, and I began to learn more about both of you through them, and how close you were to them. I remember that it was the BEST reception I had ever attended!! It was a time I needed to have fun...I was in the process of moving back to Fresno, and I was torn in so many directions from all the changes. It was such a blessing to see Lisa's and your happiness!! It's hard to believe 10 years have passed! Happy Anniversary!!

You are loved!

 
At 10:34 AM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I'm impressed. You, a math person / teacher, put relationship ahead of numbers in a bowling frame!!

Great story, Steve! I hope you have many decades of falling in love ahead of you.

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats! There are worse places to meet that someone special.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters