Monday, September 25, 2006

Bruuuuuuuce!


"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart!"

C'mon, admit it. In a weak moment you rented "Army of Darkness" and found yourself laughing uncontrollably. You loved Ash and his boomstick, choppin' up skeletons and sayin', "Groovy." What's not to love about a guy whose best pickup line is, "Gimme some sugar, baby."

No? Never gave in to this particular guilty pleasure?

Well then you must have watched "Brisco County, Jr." back in the early '90's, right? I mean, a western with tinges of sci-fi with more crazy situations and zingy one-liners than you can shake a stick at? Right before "X-Files," thus creating an awesome one-two punch of glorified, geeky fun! Remember Lord Bowler? Remember Dixie Cousins? Remember the orb, fer cryin' in a bucket???

Wow. No? Okay, how about "Spider-Man"? Ever catch that one? Or the sequel called, oh, what was it, yes, now I remember: "Spider-Man 2"? Remember the ring announcer? The guy who said, "The Human Spider? That's a horrible name!" right before officially declaring the permanent monicker, "The Amazing Spider-Man!" Or how about the snooty usher who wouldn't let poor Peter Parker in to see Mary Jane's play?

Well, they were all the same guy. The one. The only. The king of the B's. Bruce Campbell!

Yeah, that's right. I didn't see Bruce Springsteen Friday night. I didn't see Bruce Willis. I didn't even see Bruce Wayne. He's fictional, Randy. I saw my hero, Bruce Campbell and y'know what? Turns out he's a pretty nice guy.

Bruce chatted with us for a half hour or so, taking questions. And then he signed copies of his latest book for every single person there, and there were hundreds. Odd folks, just like me. Bruce had a chair next to him and he invited the signees to sit with him while he signed. There he proceeded to chat everyone up. I got the feeling that Bruce didn't like talking about himself nearly as much as he enjoyed meeting people. Typical actor/author, huh? When my turn came I was going to tell him how much I enjoyed Brisco, but he wanted to talk about me.

Bruce (seeing the post-it on the books with my name): So you're Steve? Nice to meet you. What do you do, Steve?

Me: Uh. Oh, I teach high school.

Bruce: Wow, yeah? What do you teach?

Me: Math. Algebra and Calculus.

Bruce: Hey, that's cool. So you see any of your students out here tonight?

Me: Not yet, but there's always that danger.

Bruce: I'll bet. Seems like this is a hangout for high school kids.

Me: Yeah, it is. I must be a fan to put myself in this kind of danger on a Friday night, huh?

Bruce: Well, hey, I appreciate it. (Holds out hand to shake) Thanks for coming.

Me (shaking hand with a dopey grin): Yeah, sure. Thank YOU!

I am SUCH a fanboy. What can I say? I shook Brisco's hand! I got Ash's autograph! Good times, baby. Good times.

Or as Ash would say, "Groovy."

5 Comments:

At 2:46 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I never knew the Springsteen was so nice. I wish I'd been there.

Signed:

Another Geezer…

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I guess I'll pile on with another "geezer comment." This Bruce is unknown to this West Cocoa Boy but I'm glad you had a good time.

Anybody seen my Geritol?

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

Bruce is a classic "that guy." As in,

"hey, that guy looks familiar, who is that?"

"Oh, he's that guy from Xena: Warrior Princess and Hercules."

"Really? You watched that show?"

"Uh...no...I just...ummm...heard he was on it."

"Right, me neither."

One of the best That Guys in the business especially when you need really annoying or cheesey one-liners.

Also, make sure to check out his turn playing Elvis in Bubba Ho-Tep

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Josh: Bubba Ho-tep is on order as we speak. In fact what must have the order looked like last night on Amazon? Philip Yancey's book on prayer and Bubba Ho-Tep.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all you "geezers", boys and girls, we ALL had our heros! Besides "Brisco", "Max Headroom" was my favorite...I have all episodes on VCR (ugh - does anyone use that anymore?) My geezerette experience in fan-dom...talking and dancing with...and getting a kiss on the cheek... while on stage with Paul Anka! Now that's real geezerette!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters