Thursday, September 21, 2006

8 Days

I'm not sure if I've gone 8 days without a post since I ventured into blogland. I'm still keeping up on other blogs but I've had neither the time nor the energy to put anything on this space. Today I'm faking the energy and buying the time.

Yes, I'm still sick. One side of my head is completely clogged and the other side comes and goes. Three trips to the doc have convinced me of one thing: I need a new doc.

So, here's a quick attempt at catching up.

My niece, Melissa, was married in Santa Fe Saturday night. It was a small outdoor wedding in a sculpture garden. She looked amazing. Tony didn't look so bad himself. I was honored to do a short reading for them and, after the ceremony, Lisa and I whooped it up just as much as any parents of a 5-year-old who has been up all day are able to whoop it up. Which is to say, not much.

On Sunday we went to Albuquerque to visit my friend, James. I've known James since 8th grade and he really merits three or four posts all his own. Maybe I'll do that. Suffice it to say, for now, that he is a Captain in the Air National Guard...I hadn't seen him in about 10 years...he is the smartest dude I know...and he always makes me laugh. And it was great to see him. We only got to visit for 5 or 6 hours since he was called for drill on Sunday and had to fly out for training Monday morning. But it was a good 5 or 6 hours.

Since he had to leave, we spent time at the zoo on Monday before flying home. The Rio Grande Zoo is fairly amazing. In one afternoon we saw polar bears, koalas, babies both hippo and giraffe, and more wild animals than you could shake a stick at. When they informed us that shaking sticks at the animals was a bad idea, we stopped. The habitats the animals live in are creative and expansive. We all agreed that our favorite moment came when we were searching for the small crocodile in his huge terrarium. I found him first when I realized that the rock I was looking at was looking back at me. I took a large step back, and then pointed him out to Lisa and James, both of whom took steps back also. James is still talking about it.

The rest of the week is a blur. Teaching with a stuffy head is no warm cup of tea. Sermon thoughts are aswirl in my head, but I haven't committed anything to word document yet. And I'm all excited because I'm going to meet a gen-u-ine celebrity tomorrow night.

Who? Stay tuned.

6 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

A warm cup of tea could help. So could saline spray, steam, and anything else that can hydrate your head. When I get one of those horrid things I heat up a wet hand towel in the microwave, hold it to my head and whine until it cools off. Then I warm it up again. You may need to see an ENT. Take care, friend.

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

"It" being the wet, warm towel, not my head. How embarassingly gramatically incorrect of me. :)

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

READ MY E-MAIL!! Puh-LEEZE! Check my comment from the previous entry too. And I told you I lost track of time (gee, I wonder why)...today IS the 21st, right? Not the 20th...OK. Wendy KNOWS what MY recommendations are, my having lived (?) with chronic sinus infections for most of my adult life...which I have NOT had for 4 years! Yes, you need another doc...or two. Phonez-moi!!

 
At 2:22 AM, Blogger Brady said...

So you had a good time? Great. I'm just impressed you can spel Alberquerie write.

Glad you're (partially) back.

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm with Greg - who is the celebrity and Randy doens't count. I mean, he matters but he doesn't count as a "celeb," does he?

We just lost our new department head for 6 months due to a brain injury he suffered when he slipped in his kitchen. He's out on disability which will provide 80% of salary.

His doctor told him if he were to continue to work he would have to take on "light duties." I wonder what that is with respect to teaching?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger ashley marie said...

Abilene has a zoo. You can always visit ours! It should take all of about 15 minutes. Love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters