Monday, August 21, 2006

Principally Speaking

As I said last week, there are a lot of public school employees out there who are doing great things. I am the first to admit that you will find, from time to time, people who are just drawing a paycheck. But that's true of every profession. I have even known some preachers who are in it for the money. Gasp. Awful, ain't it?

My principal's name is Sheryl Weaver and she is, as the kids would say, da bomb. She is a strong Christian and a more than capable leader. Not everybody can say that they hug their boss, but I can and do. She has continued the tradition of making Sunnyside a family and, if we now have a mother at the head rather than a father, well, some of us worked harder for our moms than our dads anyway.

Sheryl is a mom too, in the best sense of that word. She doesn't put up with nonsense. She charges $5.00 for whining. She has the highest expectations of her students and her staff. But she is always encouraging as well. She nurtures and she obviously cares for the people around her. Her door is always open and she always, always has your back.

A few weeks ago I received a handwritten note from Mrs. Weaver. It was simply to say that she hoped my summer had been good, that my house didn't have any more holes in it, and to show encouragement that this year would be better than last (and if you have no idea about how last year went, check the archives...ugh). It was a simple gesture that served to remind me how special my school is. Not many principals take the time to do something like that with well over 100 teachers.

I have spent the day meeting my new students. They are used to staying up until 3:00 am and getting up at noon. They have had more than two months off and are now trying to get back in the groove of moving at the command of the bell. But they are smiling and friendly and at least a liiiiiitle glad to be back. They like being part of this family as much as I do. That tone is set from the top.

I have had a dozen or so principals during the course of my career and the last two have been, by far, the best. It is quite a blessing to work for a very good boss...you only have to work for one bad one to appreciate how great that blessing is. I'm very grateful for Sheryl.

3 Comments:

At 5:13 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Way to go Sheryl! We just received good/bad news that our Ast. Principal, Mrs. Sherry (must be an "s" thing with good administrators) Bowman is leaving us for a promotion to a Principal's job. Our faculty gave her a standing ovation when our Principal announced the news. We're not happy to see her leave but we're happy for her as she will make a fine principal.

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger twinmommy said...

What a difference it makes when your boss works for The Boss... before I stayed home with my kiddos my principals were also Christians. It sets the tone for the whole school and makes an incredible difference you can feel when you walk in the building. Thanks for praising your principal... too often they're seen as "the bad guy."

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My principal and fellow teachers are all Christians and open about it in meetings and with kids! It is good since our whole school is about second chances!
Shane Mason

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters