Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Heat Is On

I just checked weather.com and found that it is 109 degrees outside right now. But then, it's only 2:15 pm. It'll get hotter.

This will be the fourth straight day of temperatures over 110. The two days previous to that streak, the high was 109. People are sick. People are dying.

The phone rang as I was finishing that last paragraph. It was a recorded message from PG&E, the second in as many days. They are urging people to conserve energy, to keep thermostats at 84. Fresno and Clovis are experiencing blackouts in huge numbers. Our power went out for a couple of hours Saturday night...fortunately both sermon and PowerPoint were done. Lisa's dad stayed here two nights ago as his condo was unbearably hot. My friend, Kevin, had power for a total of 11 hours this weekend, bringing the temperature in his house up to 90 degrees.

The forecast is for it cool off to a breezy 102 by the weekend. Sounds wonderful.

I caught myself feeling bad the other day because the hot weather had limited my golf outings to three for the summer. Then the gardeners pulled up across the street and started working.

Today I am going to sit under an A/C vent with a good book and count my blessings.

2 Comments:

At 4:59 PM, Blogger Brady said...

That's what I love about Fresno. AC! I find all this quite disturbing. What will happen when we are even older?

Hoping it cools off for Sunday...

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I guess I won't complain about helping my father-in-law weed his garden today in 95 degree weather with 99% humidity. I could feel the steam rising from the ground with each weed I pulled.

I just told my wife about the 84 degree thermostat request. We will certainly keep you guys in our prayers and I echo Brady's thoughts about the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters