Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Future

To the joy of all, the Haiku Contest has come to an end. Final tally: Wendy-2, Steve-2, and one tie. We have decided to bow in samurai-like fashion to each other and move on. Still...I never turn my back on a samurai.

I have been wrong before, but I have this feeling that this may be a significant month in the history of the College Church. We are moving ahead with some ideas to put people in a place of worship well before the assembly time begins on Sunday morning. The Shepherds and their respective groups continue to do an amazing job of keeping people in touch with their God during the rest of the week. And on the 23rd, the elders ("e-word" alert!) will present some thoughts on the direction of the church that we have all been working towards and praying over for a very long time. I have no doubts of God's love for and guidance of the College Church. But it's always scary and exciting when people are challenged to stretch and grow and (brrrrrrrrrr) change. I am asking for all of you to pray along with us for the next few weeks as tough decisions are made. Please pray that we can put pride and egos and worry and stubbornness all aside and put our faith and trust completely in our Creator. Pray in particular for our elders and ministers in the days ahead.

Some time after the 23rd, I'm sure that both Sandra and I will post plenty about the results of those prayers and decisions. And I'm sure that we will continue to solicit prayers from you.


"God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful." (I Cor. 1:9)

6 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

As the guy primarily in charge of worship at my congregation, I'm very curious to hear about some of the new things you are trying. If you talked about them in a previous post, I apologize, but I've been out and unable to check in.

Either way, I'll pray for you.

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

I don't like the way the first sentence of my last comment reads. I'm certainly not "in charge of worship", but I do lead the planning process.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I'm interested in the "changes" as well. Don't turn your back on "those elders." Little tongue in cheek action from an "E-man."

We'll be keeping you and the church in our prayers.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger Stoned-Campbell Disciple said...

Growth is always scary is it not?

The Green Lantern, eh? I have not seen him in a very long time.

Glad to have stumbled across your blog. Hope you have a chance to stumble across mine.

"I'll be back!"

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
Stoned-Campbell Disciple

 
At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading "The Future", (no supernatural skill intended - but after writing that, I thought, "Oh. What a concept!), my interest in finding clues were peaked. Firstly, I know the power of prayer, and of course, all those involved in the future of the church are in my prayers. Secondly, I recall the myriads of prayer that I heard from my youth...prayer that seemed to stress ones own agenda rather than God's, and thereby putting limitations on God's will, which I feel may have limited the church's "definition" or identity. Regarding your blog entry, I have good feelings about its content, and will pray that His will be done.

And this reminded me of a book written 20 years ago which was subtitled, "The Way of the Ronin" A timeless quote from John Naisbitt in his book "Megatrends" which says, "We are living in the 'time of the parenthesis', the time between eras...the time the parenthesis is a time of change and questioning. Although the time between eras is uncertain, it is a great and yeasty time, filled with opportunity...if we can only get a clear sense, a clear conception, a clear vision, of the road ahead. My God, what a fantastic time to be alive!" (I've edited the quote for brevity's sake, but you get the idea.)

I feel a smiggin of suspense here. I LOVE suspense.

May God's will be done!! God Bless your endeavors...

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misspoke...it should have read "The time OF parenthesis is a time of change..." Sorry...a senior-finger moment...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters