Monday, June 05, 2006

Summer Time

My apologies for being a bit out of it lately. I came down with a cold last Thursday and it's been messing with me ever since. I haven't done much in the way of blogging (or haiku-ing) but that's only because two very small dwarfs have been flying a hot-air balloon around inside my skull. They're still in there, but I think I may cough them out soon.

Wanna hear more about mucous-type stuff, or shall I move on?

Yes, I think that would be best.

I'll catch up on a few things today. School let out on Friday, but I'll be at the site for tech training all week. After this, I may have to get into a summer blog-routine.

Wendy Power, not knowing any better, has challenged me to a haiku-writing contest. Out of concern for her fragile self-esteem, I have delayed this for a few days so that she can steel herself for the inevitable outcome. The delay has nothing to do with my inability to count to 5 or 7 with a head cold. You may be asked to judge and this might cause difficulties if you don't know anything about haikus. The easy solution is just to assume that my poetry is best and always vote for me. There is no hard solution. Stay tuned.

Later this month, it looks as though I may have to meet my worst fear. A good friend is getting married in Long Beach and a certain stooge-loving blog-buddy has offered to put us up for the weekend. So, yes, it looks like I'm going to meet Chipper. For those of you who thought that my worst fear was listening to one of Greg's sermons, that is extremely ungracious of you. I look forward to that part of the weekend. I'm running out of material.

Ah, the joys of having a AAA baseball team in town. Darin Erstad, my favorite player, is on a rehab assignment before his return to the major leagues. That means that he is currently playing for the Salt Lake Bees against the Fresno Grizzlies. So yesterday I got to drive downtown and see Ersty play. I will go again tomorrow as the reigning Cy Young winner, Bartolo Colon, starts for the Bees.

Our pulpit series on James kicked off yesterday. DCB called the kids down to the front and told them a little about Jesus' half-brother. My kid started cracking up on stage; he thought he was talking about him. Every time DCB said "James", my own James would just laugh and laugh. Distracting, but in a good way. I'm looking forward to exploring the book as I think it hits the College Church at a good time. I'm especially looking forward to having a guest speaker from Switzerland come and deliver a couple of the messages.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Life moves pretty fast. Oops. Sorry. Ferris flashback. Let me start over.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. This blog community has become a family. I love and appreciate all of you. You newcomers and quiet lurkers are part of that family too. Which brings me to my final thought.

You may have noticed that Shane Mason (aka "Anonymous") has made some great comments recently. Shane is a great guy and he throws a great bachelor party. The kind where you don't have to worry about anyone hiring strippers or passing out in the bathroom. (It helps to invite your dad and your little brother...keeps it all on the up and up.) Great guy Shane is marrying Great gal Darla on Saturday. Wrap them up in prayer this week, would you? God is going to bless these two like crazy.

4 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

Goodness! So much running around in that little stuffed up head of yours!

James was very funny to watch. I love watching you squirm when he's up on stage...on the edge of your seat...never really sure what he'll do next.

Yesterday was a great day. I agree that the book of James is perfect for this time at this place.

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Third paragraph. Single sentence: "Yes. I think that would be best."

Beverly Hills Cop reference.

I get the credit for catching it first!

Will be praying for your friends.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Steve, I love you like a brother but...inevitable outcome? My fragile self-esteem? A blogger who thinks he's a poet? Negative campaign ads? Someone needs a lesson in losing graciously. (Oh, wait, he's an Angels fan, he already knows about that!)

I have e-mail evidence that you were the instigator of this little Haiku hoe-down. I'll say it again - bring it on, cupcake.

 
At 1:53 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I think Wendy's comment were right on target, cupcake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters