Monday, July 10, 2006

Well, I Feel Better.

I'm back from an awesome weekend of watching God work wonders. Here are some of the things He taught me:

  • He loves me, like, a LOT.
  • When He urges you to talk to someone, you should not waste time doing it.
  • In my communication with Him, I talk waaaaaaaaaay too much. If I actually shut up for any length of time, He has things to say to me
  • He loves you. Like, a LOT.
  • He has given me some awesome gifts that I belittle through false modesty. It's okay to acknowledge them. It makes them easier to use.
  • He has an incredible sense of humor. His timing is impeccable too.
  • He delights in His servants and He takes great joy in putting them together.
  • He loves every person He has created. A LOT.
If you're thinking that I must have had an incredible weekend. You're right. Our God is beyond description.

I went to the doctor today about a few things. I have a spot on my back that I never see but Lisa has to look at all the time. It's changed a little so we figured I should have it checked. I get headaches fairly often and for different reasons. My allergies lead to a lot of sinus headaches and I get the occasional migraine. I had a doozy this morning and when I wake up with one, it makes for a long day.

The diagnoses went sort of like this:

"Yup, that's a spot all right. It looks like an age spot. I'm not worried. But we'll have it removed and biopsied just in case. You'll get more.

"Yeah, it's a bad allergy season. Here's a prescription for Zyrtec.

"You might be stretching the muscles in the back of your neck. Get a new pillow. Stand up straighter.

"We need to recheck your thyroid. While we're at it, we'll check your <lots of doctor words and acronyms that I didn't understand>. You need a physical too so we'll do it all at the same time."

So, at the end of the month I'll fast for 14 hours. Then I'll go get something carved out of my back. From there, I'll go to the lab so they can draw some blood. Two days after that, I'll return for my "You're over 40 so bend over" exam. It's nice...y'know...something to look forward to.

I have to admit, somewhere in the back of my mind, I was hoping the diagnoses would go something more like this:

"Headaches? Poor guy. Here are some pills. They'll make them go away immediately and will also make you more muscular and get rid of your grey hair.

"Yeah, it's a bad allergy season. Here's a prescription for Zyrtec.

"I'm sure the headaches are just a result of your incredibly powerful brain. Those pills will also increase your bodies ability to handle your enormous intellect.

"You're thyroid has healed itself. We don't have to do that "Over 40 exam" anymore. We have these pills now. Thanks for coming in. You're very good looking."

Alas. Only one out of four.

4 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Sorry about the "over 40 exam." "Bent" there and cough that as well. Sure hope everything with the spot is O.K. I'm Long Beach and would love to meet you before we fly back on the 19th.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger tonymyles said...

I had no clue...

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Well, fellow migraine person, I don't think that posture alone causes them. Keep a diary for a while to try to figure out your triggers. I did that. For me, triggers include too much caffeine (cought*Pepsi*cough), chocolate, aged cheese, not eating, eating at the wrong time, not sleeping, sleeping too much, weather changes, stress of any kind...basically, being alive and walking around. I should buy stock in the company that makes Excedrin.

 
At 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always uplifting to read your stuff. God KNOWS how much "uplifting" I need right now -in more ways than one! I would give anything to be 40-something again...but that would have to include the past 20-something years of learning and growing. Remember, my life with God in it began at 40.
Fortunately, my allergist has taken care of my headaches and all things related to my immune system that have "gone south". Now, I just have to see what can be done about my back which has had to endure 41 yrs of the nursing profession!
Listening to God is SO HARD sometimes...a co-worker told me yesterday, "God is trying to tell you sumthin'" (Wasn't that a song from the movie, "The Color Purple"?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters