Thursday, September 07, 2006

Depressing Epiphany

I had one of those moments last night.

I was in the restroom at the church building when DCB's boy, Max, walked in. I asked him how it was going, if he was enjoying Pioneer Club, how was school, etc., etc. He answered each question politely but gave me a look that said, "Y'know, buddy, I know you're my dad's friend and all, but I really just wanna pee."

And with that one look, I was transported back about 35 years when, in the same bathroom, my dad's friends would try the same stuff. And it hit me: I'm one of them now. I'm one of the old guys at church. I'm an...an...(gulp)...adult!

I'm a kid at heart, most guys around my age are. I still watch cartoons (sometimes with James, sometimes because I just think the Justice League is cool). I still play video games when I can. My classroom walls are decorated with posters of superheroes and spaceships. And I think the coolest thing about our recent home renovations is that I can slide a long way on the hardwood floor.

But to those kids last night, I was one of the parents, one of the old people. Incredibly cool, and astonishingly handsome, yes. But old.

4 Comments:

At 12:19 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

That is almost as bad as looking at some pictures from Bible Camp asking, "Who is the bald, old guy?" Then realizing that "you're" the old bald guy.

Where is that Geritol?

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger Brady said...

There you've touched on the true fear of the modern maleā€¦ Growing up.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Josh Stump said...

I think your best response to this realization is to do something really childish. I recomend going home right now, "sneaking" out some ice cream, eating half of it right out of the container while making sure to get lots on the carpet and then draw all over the walls with a sharpie. Sure, it will seem silly when your wife comes home, but still, would an adult do that? See what I mean?

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

I did this once, too - I asked a kid who went to my old elementary school who his teacher was, only it was July and he wasn't in school so he looked at me like I had two heads.

So, Steve, are you so decrepit that you've forgotten you have a blog? And what's up with being out of town every week we visit Fresno? We miss you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters