Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Postseason, Baby!!!

On paper, the Angels really should beat the Yankees. The Evil Empire has an incredibly potent offense, but the Angels' pitching is much better. Add to that home-field advantage and the fact that since 1996 the Angels are the only team with a winning record against the Yanks and our chances are pretty good. The problem is that they actually have to play the games. And the Yankees have a frightening October mystique. But for a guy who hates the Yankees and the way they distort the game I love and who loves the Angels and has been a die-hard ever since 1979, the choice is easy. The first game is tonight at 5:00. Fingers and toes all firmly crossed, I'm picking the Angels in 3.

The Cardinals are going to kill the Padres. The NL West is one of the weakest divisions in the history of the game and the Pahds barely finished above .500. The Cardinals are the best team in the NL...by a lot. Cards in 3.

I hate the Braves too. I'm just sick of them. I have more respect for them this year than usual because they actually weren't expected to win. But they stepped up and got the job done, even though they got in mainly due to the human hot dog, Andruw Jones. I do, however, like the Astros okay. I love The Rocket. Best pitcher I ever saw and arguably the best ever. But this is going to be a battle. I hate to say it, but Braves in 5.

Which brings us to the battle of the footwear. I prefer my Sox in red and not just because one of my best friends is a big fan. I've always liked the Red Sox, ever since I found out that the guy living next door to me pitched for them (Dick Ellsworth, a pretty darn good pitcher at that). Fenway Park is baseball heaven and David Ortiz is a monster. These are two very different teams but the Red Sox unquestionably have the edge in experience. For the Angels sake, I would like to see the PaleHose win because I think if Jarrod Washburn sees Ortiz in the batter's box again in October he'll have a stroke and die on the mound. But it's hard to root against Boston and I think they'll win anyway so I'll take them in 4.

Ain't postseason great? Can you believe there are people watching football??? Me neither.

4 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Looks like the Cardinals were over powering the Padres until they brought in their closer.

I love baseball but having grown up in a state that boasts the football powers of Florida State, U of F, and Miami it's hard not to be a fan of the pigskin.

Will the baseball Gods smile on the Whitesox this year? How long has it been for them?

 
At 1:43 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

I think it's only been since 1917 for the ChiSox...you know, right around the time of the Black Sox Scandal...say it ain't so, Joe and all that.

I forgive you for your football folly. Teaching math covers a multitude of sins.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

My fellow math Brother, thanks for the "rational" response. May the "Rally Monkey" rise again.
2, 2/4, 0.25

 
At 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greg is right. Jesus would have never used such a deroggatory word. He would have said Native American Warriors.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters