Wednesday, September 28, 2005

PRAY!

I felt myself getting sick Friday night, was sure of it on Saturday, and woke up feeling highly cruddy Sunday morning. The problem was, of course, that I had to preach that morning with or without a voice. It's my habit to find the incomparable Arthur Wint and ask him to pray for me on Sundays when I speak. But before I could find him, Doug Baker found me, knelt and prayed for me, specifically praising God for being bigger than a cold. Tim McIntosh found me next and did the same. Arthur came over in a few minutes and hugged me up tight, as he always does, hand on my head and praying for the Spirit to work through me. In the group prayer in front, Lee Smith prayed for me and the message. So four prayers in 20 minutes...not bad.

The cold didn't go away. And my voice was probably an octave lower than it should have been. But there were no coughing fits or runny noses to bother me. In fact, I forgot all about being sick for the time I was speaking. I remembered it immediately upon returning to my seat and have been feeling quite lousy ever since. But never, ever question that God answers prayer.

Those who never experienced such things will say that the prayer merely gave me confidence to do what had to be done. And I suppose there's some truth in that. But my confidence truly came from a powerful Lord and righteous brothers who went out of their way to help me get the job done. Confidence came from knowing that God had done it before and would do it again. Confidence came from knowing that His will would be done.

The College Church is in a time of great need for prayer. We are praying for ministers and programs, for families and marriages. We are praying that we follow God's path for us. And I have every confidence that He will answer. Wherever you are, whatever you are doing, no matter what is consuming your thoughts and time...stop...right now...and pray.

6 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

How can the Lord not answer prayers offered up on behalf of a church like yours? What a wonderful practice to perform before one gets up to break the “Word of Life.” To be prayed for before one preaches should be “S.O.P.” for all churches. I will try to put that into practice at our church. Hope you feel better and may the Lord meet the needs of your church.

 
At 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good way to get rid of the cold is to drink a seven up or its a sign your not drinking enough pepsi.

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

It's so encouraging, as a minister of the College Church, to look over and see brother praying for brother. I can't tell you how it ministers to me, and I'm sure the folks walking in to the assembly, to see that we don't have to go to a room, or hide in a corner, or even have a "set time" that we pray...it's just part of our conversation with each other.

God, through you, did an amazing thing Sunday. I was very proud of you.

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Preachers covet the prayers of their sisters and brothers. And they often get them. But they are a fortunate people. Rarely have I seen fellow teachers lay their hands on the math teacher and pray for him because he's suffering from a cold.

I guess math teachers just have to suck it up. oxnuim

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

For us math teachers I would recommend a helping (southern phrase) of “PI.” I hope my blog brothers and sisters don’t think I’m being too irrational.

 
At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the lower / altered voice was what God needed so people would listen to what He needed to say through you that day?

I'm praying for you and the College Family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters