Friday, September 23, 2005

Underwhelmed

I love words like "underwhelmed." In fact, I just love words. I like that "bade" is really pronounced "bad." I like that "forte" should be pronounced "fort." I like that "peruse" doesn't mean to scan over something quickly, but rather to give it a close reading. I like the turned quip and the coined phrase. I like the faux-word, "gruntled."

One of the reasons I liked "Friends" was because the writers, when they were really trying, were very clever with their humor. When Rachel told Ross that she was over him, he said, "You're over me? When were you...under me?" See? Clever.

Side trip #1: For almost two years now I've watched the big machines work to create a new extension to the freeway I take to my school. I gazed longingly at the stretch of concrete that would take me all the way to Peach Avenue where a right turn and a few stoplights would take me all the way to work. This morning, the heavens opened and removed the pylons. It probably only shaved a few minutes off the commute but it was sweet nonetheless.

I like the word "nonetheless." Also "heretofore."

Side trip #2: Do NOT download GoogleEarth unless you have lots of free hours to stare at satellite photos of the entire world. You will have access to Pennsylvania Ave and the Champs Elysees. You can, if you wish, gaze down upon pyramids and great walls. The truth is, however, you will spend all of your time looking at your house and your church building. The pictures are a few years old (which is why the white suburban is parked at College) but it is a fascinating perspective. Lisa looked at it the first time and said things like, "Oooh, I hate when they park there" and "Hey, I didn't know they had a pool." It's weirdly invasive and highly unsettling and amazingly cool.

I have driven home every day for the past week looking at trees that have been there every other day for the past 7 years...but now I know they belong to a golf course that is a stone's throw from my house. Freaky.

Exit ramp back to...

Underwhelmed. That's how I felt about the response to last Friday's poem. I know we have no right to expect replies to our blogs (or blogathons, which today's is becoming). And I realize that not everybody digs poetry. But surely there's SOMEbody out there who gets the chills from Donne! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Maybe I started with something too obscure. Herewith (another cool word) and in closing, my favorite Donne poem:


A Hymn To God The Father

Wilt thou forgive that sin where I begun,
Which is my sin, though it were done before?
Wilt thou forgive that sin through which I run,
And do run still, though still I do deplore?
When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
For I have more.

Wilt thou forgive that sin by which I have won
Others to sin? and made my sin their door?
Wilt thou forgive that sin which I did shun
A year or two, but wallowed in a score?
When thou hast done, thou hast not done,
For I have more.

I have a sin of fear, that when I have spun
My last thread, I shall perish on the shore;
Swear by thyself, that at my death thy Son
Shall shine as he shines now and heretofore;
And, having done that, thou hast done,
I fear no more.

6 Comments:

At 11:48 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

sometimes, there's nothing to say.

It just needs to soak in. (poetry)

About yesterday's blog, I never really understood "good night nurse"...and then we heard Archie say it on All in the Family and I was even more confused.

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good prevailing thought . . ."I fear no more"

Perhaps we fear poetry?

I think most people are somewhat intimidated by poetry. That and fearful of the greasy looking man in the black clothes and beret. Another word which should be pronounced differently.

Continuing the sarcasm . . . would we not better understand poetry when viewed from a different lens. Lest just think of poetry as a song without all those bothersome notes.

I didn't realize how much this meant to you until I noticed you posted two identical posts saying the very same thing. Would that be considered self-plagiarism?

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Be honest. You're at work right now looking at GoogleEarth aren't you?

Yeah, blogspot went nutty on me today and I posted twice. The irony is that it took me FAR longer to post the second time then the first.

 
At 4:26 PM, Blogger Larry said...

I'm absolutely thrilled that some people love poetry.... but not me; when I read poetry my main concern is to break it down into "redneck" by removing all the frills and icing. I just aint got no couth.

GoogleEarth is interesting to say the least! Could be that it's habit forming; hope not. :)

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Hi Steve. I must admit "blogger sin." I avoided your blog when you included poetry. It's not that I dislike poetry. It's probably more of a sin of laziness. If you add poetry in a future blog I will take the time to read it. Or to put it in baseball terms, "If you add poetry in a future blog, I will play "small ball" and go "station to station" with my reading.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I have to admit. Poetry does whelm me. umweqgcq

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters