Friday, September 30, 2005

Things I Accomplished While I Was Sick

1. Worked 3 days out of 5. Hey, it's hard to teach without a voice and with a hacking cough.

2. Managed so far (fingers crossed, knock on wood) to avoid getting my wife or son sick. Of course, Lisa worked like crazy all week so I barely saw her. Plus she took James with her almost everywhere she went to help him avoid my germs and allow me to rest.

3. Watched Star Trek: First Contact with text commentary AND the entire 2nd disc of extras. My favorite was a tribute to Jerry Goldsmith who passed away this year. Goldsmith was my second favorite film composer, right after John Williams. In addition to Trek, he wrote music for Patton, Chinatown, Planet of the Apes, Twilight Zone, Hoosiers, and others. Oh, and Goonies. Mustn't forget Goonies.

4. Messed up the entire Worship Committee. Lisa wants to go out of town for our anniversary. So Tim is going to take Doug's Sunday and Doug is going to take my Sunday and then I'm going to take...ow, my head is starting to hurt again.

5. Read the entire "Supreme" graphic novel. If I call it a graphic novel, it doesn't sound like I was sitting on the couch reading comic books. Which, of course, I was.

6. Slept. A lot.

7. Met with some men I respect a lot who are trying to work on ways to get a pulpit minister again at College. We've been without one for almost ten years now and it's time. More on this in another post.

8. Watched Alias and got mad. If you watch, you know why. If you don't, you wouldn't care.

9. Listened to (not watched, mind you, but listened to) my Angels clinch the West for the second straight year. They were playing the A's so the game was blacked out here since, you know, Fresno is in the Bay Area. Pause. Okay, it's not really but my satellite company seems to think it is so I don't get to watch those games. It's all right though because my team will still be playing next week. How much would I LOVE to get back to the Series??? Angels/Cards anyone?

10. Slowly started to get better. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll be back to my old self. It will be hard enough being the only 40 year old at the Green Day concert. I think I'll need all my faculties just to survive.

Thanks to all for your prayers. Keep praying for the College Church. And for the upcoming ZOE Conference which I can't go to but SOME people get to. As Napoleon would say, "Lucky!"

3 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Hey Steve, Rick says, "Yeah, but you have skills. And if you were to go, where would you put your num chuks?"

 
At 8:08 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

There may not be any worse feeling than to be a sick teacher trying to teach sick, I mean kids. As a teacher I can't stand to get a sore throat. I have a naturally big mouth to begin with. At least I was told that today during a "Worship Committee / Multi-media clinic" at our church this morning. Some of the "normal" people that run our sound board / video projection system stated several times that I never had to be "turned up" on the sound board and in fact, they were always turning me down. I guess 24 years of teaching will do that to you.
Hope you feel better my fellow brother in Math.

 
At 8:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe how much you accomplished while sick. When sick, I tend to just lie around and make everyone else miserable!

I hope your example and productivity is not contagious. It's enough to make me . . . well . . . sick!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters