Thursday, August 18, 2005

4 Days and Counting

We're through the 4th consecutive day of meetings. Today, at least, had the virtue of being productive. The first three days were pointless wastes of time. There are fewer things harder for me than having a LOT to do and wasting time doing something else. But today's meetings were important and there was some time to start getting my classroom ready for Monday. Because it will be full of students on Monday whether I'm ready or not.

It's been a while since I've had freshmen. I'm looking forward to seeing their tiny, fearful little faces. We forget what a transition it is to being in high school for the first time. You don't know where anything is, you're faced with courses you sometimes can't even pronounce, and there are some really, realllllly big students there. Some of them have facial hair! Mostly the boys.

I'm also thinking alot about my seniors from last year. They're all getting ready to go to L.A and Santa Barbara and San Diego and lots of other places...where is Brown anyway? I forgot. I'm praying for them every day this month, hoping they travel safe, get off to good starts, make new friends, and basically kick some serious college butt. I'll miss them.

Back to work. 'Cause next week it's back to school.

9 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Blogger steve said...

God Bless!

If you get a chance could you please say a prayer for a little girl named "Rebekah" who has cancer. God knows who you will be praying about! Thank you so much!

Trying to rally some good Christian Prayer for her and her family!

 
At 9:42 PM, Blogger Wendy Power said...

Hey, I love meetings, because as of today I have a job! And sometimes they bring food to meetings. I hear you in sharing the excitement and fear of the newbies; I miss the new freshmen at Pepperdine, but the helicopter parents...not so much.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Hello fellow Math Teacher. I'm of the "Middle School variety" on the east coast. Today completes our 2nd week of school. My son was one of those "dog-face" freshmen last year at our local high school. His experience gave me a new appreciation for doing a better "transition job" with our middle school students. I'm glad your incoming freshman will have at least one Christian for a teacher.
Enjoy your meetings.

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

P.S.
My son also plays baseball for our high school. We met with the new Varsity Coach last night. Take care.

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You already know how I feel about meetings. Maybe we can have a meeting and discuss it?

 
At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was doing link crew and I had to lie to the freshmen when they ask about Algebra I with Thurman. I told them that they are gonna have a blast in that class. Yea right

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Thurman8er said...

Just keep those Pepsi's coming, Nhat...and you can tell the freshmen whatever you like.

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad they ban sodas because I don't mind bring Pepsi to you. We now have to smuggle in Pepsi to stay awake in class.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What ever happened to appreciating the Aggies? Where's the Aggies? There's L.A. and Barbara even San Diego but no Davis? By the way Nhat, you dont have to lie to the freshmen because they'll have fun didnt you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters