Wednesday, December 03, 2008

One (Almost) Down

I can't believe that my first semester of seminary is almost coming to an end. I am finishing up the last book and my final essay is due a week from tomorrow. It has been an exhilarating experience and I am so grateful for all the prayers and support.

Yesterday I registered for the Spring semester. I am going to try to take two classes, mostly because I am bending to Jim's peer pressure...(and believe me, calling Jim a "peer" is an honor in itself). Biblical Interpretation will be offered online and I will continue to take a Thursday night class from Dr. Tim Geddart, this time on the Gospel of Luke.

Dr. Geddart is a fantastic teacher. His class this semester on the church has been illuminating. I have learned so much about what the church is and what it can be. I can't wait to start teaching class again at College so that I can pass on some of these great ideas. Teaching the lessons helps them solidify in my poor little brain.

In addition to the great Thursday night lessons, we have read seven different books on various aspects of the church. We are currently reading Marva J. Dawn's Powers, Weakness, and the Tabernacling of God. Jim has already blogged about a couple of sections of the book but I want to add one of my own. Yesterday I read this Timothy Savage quote about the citizens of Corinth:
"When Corinthians evaluated each other they looked for the same symbols of worth which they prized for themselves -- wealth, assertive speech, abusive behavior, a head carried high, anything which might elevate them above their neighbors.

The same values influenced their perspective of religion. It mattered little who the gods were or what the cults taught. What was important was whether one's needs were being met."
Sound familiar?

The more I study, the more I realize that humans never change...that God never changes...and that we have so much still to learn about His awesome love and His purpose for us in this world.

5 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, Blogger cwinwc said...

Yes it does Bro. I'm happy that you're taking this journey.

 
At 2:13 PM, Blogger Stoogelover said...

I miss the opportunities for graduate work in theology. Glad you are making the best of your opportunities while you can.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

That's really quite an endeavor. You're the right person for this and I'm glad the Lord is making it possible for you to attend.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's eerie...while I read the thing on the Corinthians, I thought to myself, "Wow...sounds like today's world!"

Then I read, "Sound familiar?"
Oh yeah!!

Can't wait to her your lessons again.

 
At 7:05 AM, Blogger Meowmix said...

"The same values influenced their perspective of religion. It mattered little who the gods were or what the cults taught. What was important was whether one's needs were being met."

As somebody else commented........"oh yeah!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters