Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Wednesday Highlights


WEDNESDAY:
Our second stop on the cruise was Mazatlan. We left the ship in the morning and took an absolutely terrifying cab ride to the "Golden Zone." There we were assailed left and right by many, many (many) shopkeepers. They were willing to sell us lots of things we didn't want for very reasonable prices. We escaped and fled to the beach.



The beach was beautiful, but the merchants followed us. They toted their wares and quoted prices that were only for us. Lisa and I ditched the Nelson's and took a (slightly) less terrifying cab ride back to the ship. We spent the day relaxing and wondering what the highlight would be. Turns out it was later that day...at the magic show!



I should point out here that Kevin is one of my best friends in the world. Lisa likes to call us "BFF's" and I like to pretend I don't know what that means. The first time we met, some fifteen years ago or so, I found out that he liked poker, Star Wars, baseball, and the art of Bev Doolittle. Once I got past the Red Sox hat, we became fast friends.

Lisa and I were so glad that Kevin and Marla took the week off to join us on the cruise. We wouldn't have had nearly as much fun without them. We shared meals together, played games together, and just generally hung out. I even got to see Kevin dance. A little.

As soon as we saw that Ken the Magician was using lots of audience members in his show, we were quick to volunteer Kevin. His reluctance seemed to fade a bit when he was given the task of tying down Misty the Magician's Assistant. After he (and some other dude) secured Misty in place, Ken covered her up and drove a blade through her. Then he thrust several swords through her before pulling her apart. At least, that's what it looked like. And that's what he said. He wouldn't lie to us, would he?



We had a blast watching Kevin up on stage and the show was actually quite good. Later we had another great dinner and played "Apples to Apples." Lisa even took that incredible sunset picture up top, but seeing my buddy in a magic show was Wednesday's highlight.

Moral of the day: If you're ever in a taxi in Mexico, use your seatbelt.

4 Comments:

At 1:07 PM, Blogger cwinwc said...

I have got to go on one of these cruises. I’m sure all of the entertainment was a-capella? :)

Looks like you guys had lots of fun.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cabs in Mexico have seat belts? I remember a ride in Mexico City where I had to close my eyes. But not as terrifying as the one I took in Rome! It felt like I was in McQueen's car in the movie "Bullet".

I don't know what BFF means either...should I know what this means?

Great pics!!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Cheryl said...

Hey - we had the magician our week, too. It really was a highlight of the entertainment! I'm enjoying re-living the cruise with y'all!

 
At 12:31 AM, Blogger Brady said...

I love a good magic show. Must have something to do with Steve Martin in my teen years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters