Wednesday, August 24, 2005

James Richard Thurman



Yesterday was James first day of school. He's still in preschool...next year is the one I'll have to carry Lisa from in a wheelbarrow...but he's in a new class from last year and he IS only four. But he did great. Lisa says he walked right into the new room, put his stuff in his cubby and started to play with the other kids. I'm happy about that because he spent most of the summer telling us he didn't like his new teacher (whom he'd never met) and wasn't going to be good in his class. But he had a great day and was eager to tell me all about it when I got home from work.

He is such an amazing kid. I think he's about the best-looking kid I ever saw and I don't care if you say I'm biased I'm not he just is so there. He's incredibly well-behaved too. Sure, he has his days...and he has his moments almost every day...but don't all kids? Most of the time he is so obedient and polite. But the thing I love most about him is that he's just so fun...and funny! He's a bit like his dad in that, if he knows he's got you going, he just doesn't let up. I'm more into the witty retorts and he's more into the funny faces, but it's the same thing, isn't it? Exhibit A:


That is Teacher Maria, the wife of my friend, Accountant Fausto. She'll be a great teacher. It looks as though James isn't quite sure about things in that room. But if you know him, you know that his mommy just asked him to smile for the camera and so he decided to make that face. I don't know, it's just what he does, but it cracks me up.

I wonder, as most parents do, what he's going to be like as he gets older. Will he still like baseball? How will he do in school? What are his gifts and talents going to be? What kind of friends is he going to drag into our house? How long will it be until he stops following me all over the house and starts asking me to drop him off at the corner so his friends won't see me? I've taught for over 18 years and I've met about 10 million kids. So I know what teenagers are like. But I have a niece and a nephew who have shattered that mold. Will James always be as awesome as they are? What challenges will he face?

All I really ever pray for with him is that he is as happy and as healthy as God's plan will allow. Of course, I want so much more for him. But those two will suffice. God, grant that Lisa and I can be what he needs us to be. Grant that he will always have that easy laugh. Grant that he knows you and loves you as much as we do. And grant that he always likes baseball.

2 Comments:

At 11:04 AM, Blogger Generous Kitchen said...

He's a joy. He's grown up so much in the last couple of months.

I truly believe every child has the potential to be an amazing adult. What they need is what we all crave.

Unconditional love, Discipline/Boundries that hold us accountable, and hope for the future...bushels of hope...hope that keeps us full of joy.

As long as our kids know God, they'll have those things, even when we (or the world) fail them.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Brady said...

Thanks for the pictures. Don't worry about him loving baseball. Once it's in the blood… Just go out and play some catch!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counter
Hit Counters